Good Day Guys!! I hope you had a great time last week. I am back with the topic I promised … How to improve my Spoken English. I always keep up my promise, don’t I? I know you are eager to come to the topic directly.. so am I. So let’s talk about the top ten points (in my opinion) that can be used to improve Spoken English.
- Talk talk talk– When you were kids, how did you learn to walk? You started making mistakes and fell down for uncountable number of times. You were picked by your mother or baby sitter or anyone else in the family. And then, you tried again. Imagine if you were scared and had stopped attempting to walk, do you think you could have walked today? The obvious answer is NO. It is the same with English. In a multi-lingual country like India, there are many languages that we are aware of. But do we know to read and write them.. well that is insignificant. If you can speak..is fair enough. So why stop? Make the conscious effort and keep speaking in English. The more you speak, the better you will be and your confidence will grow automatically.
- Use Google translate– If you are reading my blog, it is understood that you know how to browse. And if you know how to browse, you can google up for help as well. When you are unsure of a word or a pronunciation of a word, ask google! It’s easy to use! Enter the word in Google Translate and listen to the correct pronunciation by clicking on the audio button.
- Listen– Again I would like to take the example of your childhood here. When a child is born, he/she starts speaking for the first time after listening to the most spoken language at home. So when you need to speak English, you first need to listen a lot of English. Listen to news bulletins and songs in English to listen to the pronunciation of words. You can also learn new words and expressions this way. The more you listen, the more you learn!
- Read out loud– Read the newspaper or magazine out to yourself daily. If you read correct English, you will start getting into the habit of using correct English. Another thing to mark here is that, when you hear yourself read, you can easily detect the flaws and will be able to make the conscious effort to change for good.
- Learn a new word everyday– It is easy to say and hard to follow! And I completely agree with that. But understand that vocabulary building is extremely important. You can’t sound like a broken tape-recorder by using the same word time and again.
- Watch films– Watch movies in English and pay attention to new vocabulary and pronunciation. Imitate the actors and have fun with it. It is advisable that you watch them with sub-titles so that it’s easy for you to grab what it means.
- Make friends- Networking is the best way to learn English. Try making friends who does not understand you language. By default you will have to talk in English and automatically you will gain confidence. Also exchange ideas so that you take topics to talk about.
- Do interesting activities in English- Take a cooking course in English, or join a book club! Do anything that you enjoy, but do it in English. This may sound funny but trust me- it works !
- Have a debate- Pick a topic and start a debate. By default you will get hyper and will start talking out your mind. This will be like stopping medicines and starting yoga! You will heal up your English automatically.
- Beat your own drum- This is the easiest thing to do. If you have learnt something, go and show-off in front of your friends or someone who has let you down before. Then you will feel happy that your efforts have finally brought color. Also, this will give you the motivation to try even harder when you get praises from them.
Try these things and see the result yourself. If not, help is always available at LearnSocial with Anindita.
I am signing off for today. Have a great week ahead.
Anindita, Language Specialist.